Contact the Scholars' Centre on (+61 8) 6488 1585 or call in on the second floor, Reid Library.
Application for carrels and study desks
This is the form to use to apply study space:
The Reid Library has study carrels and desks in the Scholars' Centre for higher degree and honours students.
- Students with disabilities and medical conditions
- Rules of use
There are 72 places in the study carrels in the Reid Library building, 52 on the second floor and 20 on the third floor. Carrels are shared. Most carrels have two places, but some have three.
There are three types of study desks in the Scholars' Centre:
- Reserved desks: 57 desks which are allocated to individual students.
- Unreserved desks: 28 desks (including window seats) which are available for daily use.
- Visitors' desks: five desks which are reserved for visiting scholars.
Back to top
Allocation of carrels and desks
Applications for carrel places and desks can be submitted throughout the year and are considered before the start of each semester.
If you are one of the following students, you are eligible to apply for a study space:
- Master's by research
- Higher degree (master's or doctorate) by coursework
- Honours students
The following students are not eligible to apply for space:
- Graduate certificate and graduate diploma students
- Undergraduate students
The initial allocation is for one semester, which can be renewed on request if you are still eligible. If you cannot be allocated a place, you will be put on a waiting list.
Carrel and desk places will not be allocated to students who already have accommodation in their school or faculty.
Visitors' desks are allocated by the Principal Librarian of the Scholars' Centre in response to official requests from Schools. Preference is given to scholars using the collections and services in the Reid Library building.
How to apply
Complete and submit this form if you would like to apply for a study space:
Back to top
Students with disabilities and medical conditions
A limited number of carrel places are available for students who disclose a disability or a chronic medical condition and request assistance. Contact the University's Disability Office on (+61 8) 6488 3809 if you require this service.
Back to top
Rules of use
The following rules apply specifically to the carrels and desks. If you do not observe these rules, we may have to withdraw your study space.
- Carrel and desk keys are lent through the Library's circulation system. If you lose your key, we will charge you $50 for a replacement key.
- Carrels and desks will be surveyed during the semester. If you are not using your carrel or desk, you will be asked to return your key and your place will be reallocated.
- Your carrel or desk place is allocated specifically to you. You should not give or lend your key to anyone else.
- All the books you keep in your carrel or on your desk for more than a day must be borrowed through the normal loans procedures. Journals and non-borrowable material must not be kept in study spaces for more than one day at a time. Carrels and desks will be checked regularly and any items which are not on loan to you will be returned to the shelves.
- If you are going to be absent from the University for a month or more, notify the staff in the Scholars' Centre.
- The carrels are not soundproof. Please keep talk and noise to a minimum.
- Switch off your reading light when you leave your carrel. Otherwise night security staff will enter your carrel to switch off the light.
- Do not cover up the window of your carrel completely. In an emergency, we need to be able to see if you are still in your carrel.
The Library's general rules also apply to the carrels and desk. In particular:
- Smoking is prohibited in the Library.
- With the exception of bottled water, food and drink are prohibited in the Library.
- Mobile phones must be switched off before entering the Library.
Back to top